As the metaverse customer service continues to change the current technology landscape, companies and brands may be rethinking their current and future CX strategies to adapt to the rise of the new, virtual world. With the metaverse being a space that blends reality with virtual, one can say that the possibilities may be endless. One possibility, is for companies to give birth to the desire of becoming “virtual-first” to cater to the growing influence the metaverse is currently having over the digitally savvy millennials and Gen Z.
And why not? With the metaverse allowing a space where everything can be accessed, created, consumed, and connected, the attraction to anything virtual could be very easy to see. We’ve already crossed the line when it comes to adapting to a digital environment, utilizing digital technologies to leverage their benefits. Now, the opportunity to take the next step towards a New Kind of Virtual is already here—and with it comes the importance of customer experience, especially in a virtual-first environment.
CX in the Metaverse: Key Points to Consider
“The metaverse customer service promises golden times for customer experience,” wrote Gilbert Schwartzmann in his LinkedIn Pulse article. However, inviting curious and non-curious customers into the metaverse could be a daunting task, and brands must consider these key points before diving in:
- Recognize the value of the Millennial and Gen Z markets. First things first, exploring a virtual-first environment requires tapping into an audience that live and breathe technology—Millennials and Gen Z. With these generations already familiar with how technology evolves and operates, introducing the metaverse into their customer journeys becomes less intimidating.
- Technology continues to evolve, meaning there’s always the need to explore and upgrade. Extended reality (xR)—which encompasses Mixed Reality (MR), Virtual Reality (VR), and Augmented Reality (AR)—is the current enabler that is slowly integrating the metaverse into fruition. Developing and reconstructing 3D content is pivotal to enable metaverse users to access, create, and generate real-time virtual content. Strengthening AI capabilities should also be considered.
- Create high-tech, high-touch virtual experiences that connect and inspire. It’s set in a parallel, online universe, but that doesn’t mean human connections in the metaverse are irrelevant. On the contrary, brands must invite co-creation between spaces, present opportunities to empower Millennials and Gen Z, and build immersive interactions through collaborative events to further inspire engagement in a virtual atmosphere.
- Research, test, identify, and learn. Don’t get too hasty. Test, identify, and learn important attributes that could help define how customers tend and prefer to navigate their own metaverse customer journey.
- Invest in seamless channel integration that still accommodates both physical and metaverse experiences. Despite the lure of everything virtual, companies and brands must understand that people would still prefer to do things the “old-fashioned” way: go to a physical store, send a text, or call a real person to make an appointment. Do not neglect them.
The Quest for True Connections
The dynamic between brand and consumer continues to change, especially when we factor in the major trends that currently affect and influence buying behavior. Because of the metaverse customer experience, companies could experience a new wave of euphoria, as they explore the possibility of extending their physical or online spaces to create connected, virtual spaces for its customers. This kind of technology allows us to discover a myriad of new things without even going outside our homes, which, for one, is truly convenient for most—but also presents the challenge for brands to find more ways to truly connect better with their customers. Personalization has often been successful in making memorable customer experiences in a digital landscape, and this applies as well in the metaverse customer service.
In a sea of aspirants wanting to test out the virtual waters, keeping customers at the core of every business matters, especially in a virtual environment. An enhanced metaverse customer experience can truly boost the metaverse-driven customer journey, paving way for better interactions and experiences.