/media/rrcfr3vu/shutterstock_1357931162-content-moderation-on-social-media-seo.jpg
Implementing Content Moderation on Social Media
Teleperformance - 11.14.2022

In our previous articles featuring content moderation on social media, we have written how data never sleeps – every day, over 2.5 quintillion bytes of data are being shared. This number is only set to rise as new technologies continue to emerge.

Content Moderation on Social Media Platforms


Content moderation is an essential “first responder” service protecting the public from bad actors in the digital world and is vital to the overall safety and security of online users. We’ve explained how content moderation provides enforcement and consistency around trust and safety guidelines for online communities, websites, and social media platforms. Content moderators are tasked with monitoring, flagging, filtering, reviewing, and finally, escalating violating content to the social media platform so they can take immediate, necessary action. But what exactly do content moderators encounter when reviewing content?


When it comes to monitoring harmful or sensitive content, content moderators may rely on technologies such as artificial intelligence (A.I.) and machine learning to improve the screening and reviewing processes. Automation and algorithms play a key role in optimizing the content moderation processes and making it more efficient, thanks to their ability to filter and classify content for content moderators. These technologies can assist content moderators by shielding them from harmful content, helping to lessen exposure to challenging and disturbing content. On average, A.I. eliminates 97 % of the egregious content leaving only 3% to be reviewed by humans because of contextualization issues.


With the amount of user-generated content and shared posts, content moderators are “first responders”  on the lookout for harmful, abusive, and sensitive content online. Social platforms like TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter have long been witnesses to the spread of harmful content – which is why content moderation on social media has been implemented – to protect users, brands, and customers.

What are the types of content monitored, reviewed, and removed by social media platforms?


Here are a few examples:

  • Graphic violence
  • Child and Minor Safety
  • Racism
  • Profanity
  • Extremism
  • Hate speech and bullying
  • Misinformation
  • Sexually explicit content


Identifying content that violates online community guidelines may vary, depending on the trust and safety protocols set by different companies or websites.  To effectively moderate content, content moderators and the broader T&S team must have a clear understanding of platform policies, go through training to learn effective enforcement of these policies, undertake a review and feedback process to see how policies may need to be recalibrated, and undertake continuous learning and improvement so that precision and recall can be improved over time.

Protect Your Business and Your Customers with Teleperformance


Content moderation on social media has become indispensable in today’s fast-paced, digital environment. Besides keeping online communities safe, content moderators can also protect and positively impact brands and businesses by strengthening their online reputation on social media platforms.


Teleperformance’s trust and safety content moderation teams combine digital technologies such as machine learning and AI with human understanding to protect your business and your customers.


Contact us today to learn more about our services!

Image Linkedin
Image Twitter
Image Facebook
Image Email
Image Share